My mom makes the best apple pie ever.
Of course, it is a family favorite.
Over the years, whenever there is an occasion to celebrate, or a family gathering,
you can be sure there will be apple pie.
I think she took to apple pie because she has some wonderful old fashioned transparent apple trees. However, when a birthday came around, her pie became such a favorite
we would invariably ask for apple pie instead of cake.
One is never enough, especially if you want to have that wonderful, most blessed occasion
of apple pie leftover for breakfast.
I suppose that one reason I love to make pie, not only apple,
(but it does travel well, if you were, say, sending one in the mail to your dearest loved ones),
is because I have come to the conclusion that feeding people is my spiritual gift,
and that my love language must be food. :-)
In truth, I like to think that cooking and baking is a practical application of nurturing and life giving.
The joy of thinking of the folks whose tummy's and mouths will be delighted by my efforts
keeps a smile on my face as I peel, roll out dough, and put it all together.
It is a labor of love.
I hope to transplant a start from one of Nanny's apple trees to here at Providence Lodge for posterity.
This is one family tradition I plan on carrying out, and passing on to my children.
I can just imagine my great grandchildren making an apple pie for a celebration and telling the story of how Great Great Nanny made the best apple pie anywhere.






0 comments:
Post a Comment